Sunday, October 20, 2013

My Background, and Driving Force.......

   I have mentioned before that often I have to remind myself that many of the things I know are not always common knowledge to those who aren't licensed Cosmetologists. This is absolutely due to the fact that I hardly remember a time when this information wasn't relevant to my life. Because you see, I was born a hairdresser! (Not really but it sounds good. ;)  )


In the beginning......

   My interest in becoming a hairstylist stems from a visit the Columbiana County JVS  Cosmetology Students paid my kindergarten glass. They all looked so pretty! They came in and braided some of the girls hair, all smiles! At that point I hadn't realized there were people who were designated as the ones who cut hair! Up until then, my only hairstylist was my mother, and she wasn't very skilled. (Quite the opposite! SORRY MOM!) The Cosmetology students came back every year of my time in elementary school, and every year my interest grew! I knew what I would be when I grew up, and I knew how I was going to achieve this goal. I was going to get licensed right out of high school by going to the JVS!

   By the fourth grade I decided I did not want any more of my mother's haircuts. I cut my hair short, MYSELF. I was 10 years old. I'm sure it looked horrid, but to me it was far superior to my mother's cuts. My mom didn't seem upset so I must not have done too bad of a job. (Please never try that at home!) Around this time I also realized the power that hair had! You could change who you are if you changed your hair. And hair product was there to help!

In the middle.....
 
  At age 12 I started messing around with that ever-awful, Sun-in. I have very dark hair naturally (nearly black.) Using  Sun-in just made me orange, but I was happy. I was doing what I longed to do, and that was anything that involved changing my hair! Soon after that my mother became more comfortable with me using permanent color on my hair, and I have been changing my hair color ever since.

   To make a long story short, I started to practice my cutting skills on my kid sister, 9 years younger than myself so luckily she is too young to remember the horrors of some of my very first haircuts. I continued cutting my hair myself, on occasion having to go to a salon to fix the mess I had made when I got myself in too deep. Then the time had finally come! I was 16, and finally a junior in high school. This is when I became a student of Cosmetology! 

   Since 2003 I have been immersed in  all things hair. I passed my State Board of Cosmetology Exam on my first try in 2005. I was 18 years old....... I have been a Licensed Cosmetologist my entire adult life. I'm now 26 years old. People often look at me and think that I must not have much experience for how young I look. 10 years experience is quite an accomplishment in my opinion. :) It's all I've ever known, and it's what I am driven to do every day!

                                                    To be continued.....


No comments:

Post a Comment