Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The WORD on Haircoloring and Pregnancy.

    Many times over the years I've been asked "Is it safe to color my hair when I'm pregnant?" As some of you know I am currently expecting my 3rd child, due to arrive in April of next year. I had this same question during my first pregnancy. When I asked my doctor she told me that it's not known to be dangerous. (Don't you hate when they say stuff like that?) Here's what I have learned.






1. While it is not known to be a danger to the baby, it is also not known whether it is safe

2. When you get an all-over color, a small amount is absorbed into the scalp. (It is a very small amount, but it is happening none-the-less.)

3. Some doctors suggest waiting until the second trimester to color your hair. During this time the baby is better formed and a little more durable. 

4. If you can't wait until the second trimester to get your color done, you can get off-the-scalp services done such as foiled highlights/lowlights and some ombre techniques.

   My best advice is that if you are nervous, don't do it! I have always colored my hair throughout my pregnancies, although I do try to use a semi-permanent type color, especially during the first trimester. This type of color has low or no peroxide or ammonia.

   Whatever you choose to do, it is always wise to ask your doctor or midwife before having color done when you are expecting a child. Every pregnancy is different, just as every person, and some pregnancies may have more restrictions than others. Have a happy, beautiful pregnancy, my pregnant friends (and those who may be in the future!)


        "Life is tough enough without having someone kick you from the inside."


No comments:

Post a Comment