Monday, December 16, 2013

Let Me Get Real For A Moment.....

Alright.... So I really want to talk a little about something that has been eating at me the last few days. (Probably to my detriment, as I suppose some things should be kept to ones self.) Oh well. I'll begin from the beginning.... 


   About 2 weeks ago I had an older women come in. She was a walk-in ( a non-referred, first time client.) She asked for a "body-wave" style of perm. I clearly explained what a body-wave is, especially in comparison to a tighter style of perm. She agreed that was exactly what she wanted. She had been given many tighter perms before and wanted something more natural, with less curl.

   After an appropriate consultation, we begin. As I'm shampooing her (the first step in the process) she proceeds to tell me how the last girl that did her hair didn't have a clue. She explains how her perm didn't take properly in parts and how her cut was very "frayed looking".  She returned to that salon to complain, and they offered for her to come back in after a couple of weeks to have it re-permed (for the safety of her hair she had to wait to have another perm done.) or they would reimburse her for the service. She decided to take the money. 

  She assured me that I really seemed to know what I am doing. She felt so much more comfortable with me than with the last girl she had. We chatted about her work, my family and when my baby is due. (I'm pregnant.) 

  After the perm is done, I trim her hair, put a little mousse in it, and then put her under the dryer. She dries and the "body-wave" looks great! She and I both agree. I remind her not to shampoo for 48 hours, and that the curl will "relax" a bit over the next couple of weeks, as it's always a bit tighter right after the service.  She pays, rebooks with me for her next appointment, and is on her way. I was very happy with the results. It was probably my favorite perm I had ever done. (I'm truly not a fan of perms. You'll soon see why.)

   Fast forward two weeks. I get a call from the perm lady. She says "The very next day it was completely straight!" I think to myself....... Hmmmm I'm not quite sure how that can happen. In all my years I have never heard of such a thing. I tell her that I remember her telling me that she had issues with it taking properly last time. She responds angrily saying she never said that. (Okay then!) I tell her to come in and I will take a look at it. I decided to ask all of my stylist friends (many have been doing hair 15-25 years!) if they had ever heard of a perm taking, then going completely straight the next day. They said they had not.

   The day she comes in, her husband sits with the car running in front of the door. (My first sign something is up.) I look at her hair and can tell immediately that it is not straight, at all. The curl had relaxed a bit, as I had explained would happen. She responded angrily, pulling on her hair and smoothing it out, repeating "NO, this is straight." I asked the other girl I was working with at the time and she agreed with me that it was indeed a body-wave. The lady just kept getting angrier. 

   I decided to shampoo it and put some mousse in it then put her under the dryer, just as I had the initial time. I wanted to see what it looked like freshly washed and not pushed flat down on her head. After she was dry I took her back to my chair to show her it wasn't straight. I maintained an upbeat attitude even though I wanted to scream, or cry, or tell her to go straight to hell! I told her this is what a body-wave is and that it was what she had agreed to. (All the while I was honestly being extremely polite.) She keeps saying "NO!" I explain that if she wants we can do a tighter perm in 2 weeks (the wait was necessary in order to not damage her hair) and we would give her 20% off. It would not be a free service due to the fact that she had agreed that a body-wave was indeed what she wanted. 

   She didn't like this solution. She started yelling that she was not coming back. I calmly said "I understand and that's fine. Be sure to explain to your next stylist that you want a tighter perm and not a body-wave." (I was still being nicer than I have ever been to someone being so rude.) She pretty much jumps out of my chair, yelling in front of other clients how she was never coming back and how she is giving everyone a bad review of me and the salon. I told her that I again was sorry I couldn't help and "Happy Holidays".

  I kept it together, but I was stunned and hurt. I have not ever had that happen (aside maybe from my first week of doing hair, many years ago.) I wanted to cry. I now realize that she was more than likely one of THOSE people who jump salons complaining and getting free services. This would make sense why her husband sat outside the door in his car. If she was expecting to get another perm that day he wouldn't be sitting there for the 2 hour service. She wanted cash back. (I bet she also finds hair in her food every time she goes out to dinner.)

  Regardless, my spirit was broken. I truly TRULY put my heart into every service I give. I give it my all, and when someone comes in and is so rude and cold, after you spent hours talking like friends and sharing a part of yourself, it is heartbreaking. People make mistakes, and I'm only human. But when you KNOW you did not make a mistake, it makes it that much harder. I know not everything I do is perfect. I'm no robot. I'm still learning, and growing in my career, my passion, every day. My only mistake was doing that stupid perm in the first place! So thanks lady, for making a pregnant girl miserable right before Christmas. This is the time I am most busy, and I should be PUMPED to be working so much. But now I'm feeling scared. What if I mess up?! What if someone else tells me off? What if I just don't have it anymore? 

  My only option is to suck it up, and move forward. Heartbroken or not, I have clients that rely on me. So I decided to write this blog. Below I will attach photos of what people perceive a perm or body-wave to be, and what they really look like. I'll add that, you must take into account your hair's texture! Many people (this women included) think a perm is going to make them have more hair. It doesn't. If you have five strands of hair on your head, after a perm, you will have five stands of curly hair on your head.



 Most likely a perm. Could be natural, using some product and a diffuser. Could have been a "body-wave" type perm that took stronger on the ends due to the hair being more porous there.

                                                                     Perm.
                                           

Perm.

             Most likely used a curling iron or wand. 


 Again, probably a curling iron or wand.


                                                Body-Wave style Perm


Another subtle Body-Wave style perm



        Roller set. (Could also achieve with curling iron.)



Roller set.




     Roller set, combed out finger waves or pin-curls. Possible a curling iron was used on parts.













   Well, now. I feel MUCH better. Be sure if you are getting a perm that you have the right idea of what it will look like. Chances are you may not. I'll note that the majority of the above photos came up in a search for "Perm". The internet lies. Always take pictures of what you want. And always ask questions before jumping to decisions that may be a bit under educated. Good luck out there, and stay strong!




           "Your shadows will always fall behind you if you choose to face the sun."








No comments:

Post a Comment